Yesterday was the start of National Nurses Week, and this year, these heroes deserve to be celebrated more than ever before. It goes with out saying, but our healthcare workers and nurses are currently the backbone of our country. Risking their lives so we may stay safely at home, you all are the ultimate heroes of this pandemic.
History of National Nurses Week:
National Nurses Week begins each year on May 6th and ends on May 12th, Florence Nightingale’s birthday. Although the timing has changed a few times, National Nurses Week and National Nurses Day has been observed since 1954.
Who is Florence Nightingale? Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), known as “The Lady With the Lamp,” was a British nurse, social reformer and statistician best known as the founder of modern nursing.
In January of 1974, the International Council of Nurses (ICN) proclaimed that May 12 would be International Nurse Day. Since 1965, the ICN has celebrated “International Nurse Day.” Just a month later, President Nixon issued a proclamation designated by the White House honoring May 6th- May 12th as National Nurses Week.
A few years later in 1978 , New Jersey Governor Brendon Byrne declared May 6 as “Nurses Day” in his state. In 1982, the United States joined New Jersey in celebration when President Ronald Reagan signed a proclamation on March 25, proclaiming “National Recognition Day for Nurses” to be May 6, 1982, and it’s been honored ever since.
I think we all can agree that nurses deserve all the love they can get this year! Here’s a list of fast-food chains across the country offering freebies to our heroes this week!
National Nurses Week Freebies:
- Capriotti’s Sandwich Shop is offering a free small sub to any nurse!
- As advertised on Instagram, the chain is offering free burritos to nurses and other medical workers as part of their “4HEROES” campaign. Chipotle will be giving away 100,000 burritos to healthcare professionals starting May 6, “Nurses and other healthcare professionals will be able to sign up for a chance to receive their free burritos by visiting their website.
- Cinnabon is thanking nurses by offering free cinnamon rolls for nurses at participating locations. Check their website to see if your nearest store is offering free treats.
- The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf offered free brewed coffee to all healthcare professionals on National Nurses Day, yesterday.
- Dunkin also offered free medium-sized coffees (hot or iced) and a free doughnut to all nurses and health care professionals on May 6!
- El Pollo Loco is giving away limited-edition National Nurses Week gift cards for the family to enjoy a meal together at home to nurses tagged on their Facebook and Instagram pages all week long!
- Krispy Kreme is giving away a dozen original glazed doughnuts for nurses on Monday, May 11.
- Mrs. Fields Cookies is offering 40% off their Heroes Collection all week long!
- Outback Steakhouse is giving nurses 10% off their orders with the restaurant’s ongoing “Heroes Discount,” which has no expiration date. All frontline heroes are welcome to use this discount!
- Snickers is giving free nougat for nurses! Revealed on Instagram, they are giving nurses and other essential workers a complementary Snickers bar via an e-gift card, redeemable at Walmart.
- Sheetz is STILL serving free coffee to all frontline workers. This promotion will continue through June 1st.
- Starbucks is giving nurses and anyone who identifies as a front-line responder a free tall coffee (hot or iced) from now until May 31.
- Verb Energy says health care workers can get free bars delivered to their door by texting a request to 415-915-8372. Verb will text you back with a quick form to fill out! If anyone needs energy, it’s our nurses!